Friday, October 19, 2007

Dreaming of perfumed lands...

In the heartlands of American, I would be a real traitor. For many reasons, but probably the fact that I don't really feel the desperate desire to return to live in the homeland (no healthcare, no vacation, and very often tasteless ingredients to cook with- probably my biggest complaint) and that I cook Middle Eastern food constantly are my biggest faults. But here is one of my absoloute favorite recipes, thanks to the cooking genius, Claudia Roden and her book Tamarind and Saffron, one of my all time favorite cookbooks. I'm making it tomorrow and can't wait to have it!

Oranges with Orangeblossom Water
10 oranges
2 cups of freshly squeezed orange juice (Tropicana will do in a pinch)
1 cup of sugar
1-2 Tablespoons of orangeblossom water

Cut the rind off the oranges- cut a slice off each end, then cut away the entire peel around the whole orange so that the flesh is exposed. Then cut in thick slices and finally quarter the slices so you have rind free chunks. Heat the juice and sugar together until the sugar melts and then remove from the heat and add the orange blossom water. Pour over the oranges and then refridgerate until you are ready to eat.
For that, I'd join a harem!

No comments: